SPRING VALLEY REAL ESTATE
The first formal step in Spring Valley Village becoming a City took place on December 14, 1954, when a petition for incorporation signed by twenty-six residents was presented to Harris County Judge Bob Casey.
Judge Casey declared the Town of Spring Valley Village to be incorporated on April 25, 1955. On June 30, 1955, Judge Casey swore William F. Cannon into office as the first Mayor of Spring Valley Village.
The desire for zoning having been the primary reason for incorporation, A Zoning Commission was created on January 24, 1956. A Zoning Ordinance was adopted on April 2, 1956. Having no municipal water and sewer systems nor fire department, and the area having many trees, the greatest portion of Spring Valley Village was zoned residential and limited to one-family, one-story dwellings. From time to time, the Zoning Ordinance has been amended and rewritten to strengthen and better serve the majority of the property owners. In 1981, the major change was made when two-story houses were permitted for the first time.
The streets of Spring Valley Village reflect names of families who either owned or developed that area. What is called Westview Drive today was once called Holms Road for the E. J. Holm family. Fries Road, named after Mr. And Mrs. Fries honored a family who owned one of several plant nurseries in the area. Beutel Street was named after Mr. And Mrs. Louis Beutel who owned most of the Osborne Survey, which consisted of tracts of land given by Sam Houston to men who served in the army of the Republic of Texas.
Police services provided another reason for incorporation. As first, Spring Valley Village had a Marshall who received only car expenses. The Spring Valley Village Police Department now offers twenty-four hour protection provided by a Chief, Lieutenant, Sergeant, Detective, many officers, and civilian personnel. The department provides protection to Hilshire Village under a contract agreement.
Fire protection during the same time grew from a volunteer to a career department , the Village Fire Department, Emergency Medical Services staffed by paramedics are provided as well. Costs to operate the department are shared by the six Villages served.
On July 3, 1983, the City Hall was dedicated to the citizens of Spring Valley Village. The building is wheelchair accessible and houses offices for City officials as well as a Municipal Court Room and Police Department.
Spring Valley Village is one of the six Memorial Villages and was incorporated as a City in 1955. Located ten miles west of downtown Houston, the City of 3,611 people spans 1.6 miles.